supplements?

The rule on using supplements is if you don't test for it don't add it. About all I use is the two part solution.

All I have is calcium, ph and thats about it, just in case it drops low..

+1 piggy. if you dont test it then dont add anything for it.

I just made a thread about this last week. Not sure why it doesn't appear on the related threads list except for one I made a year ago.

I have never used supplements. I yet have to lose my first coral or anemone (Knock on wood)

Water changes seem to do the trick for me.

Last edited:
DIY 2-part:
Arm&Hammer baking soda
DowFlake - calcium chloride
MagFlake - magnesium chloride hexahydrate
Epsom salts - magnesium sulfate

I was using Kent Calcium Chloride, Iodine and Molybdenum/Strontium for several months. In my tank none of the additives really helped or hurt. My corals and other critters did well before I started adding and they appear to be doing fine since I stopped a few weeks ago.

I stopped because I am having an algae problem. I was reading the bottles and they claim "contains no phophates". The first thing that came to mind is if they went out of their way to mention they don't have phophates many additives might - including these.

Anyway since my critters seem to do well with or without additives I decided to quit just to see if it impacts my algae growth. Since it's only been a couple weeks its a little early to tell on the algae.

For the record - I'm completely speculating on additives of any brand/type containing phophates. I've done no research at all on the issue. I just thought I'd try stopping the additives as long as they didn't seem to be doing anything for me. If my algae clears up it might have nothing to do with the additives as I have stepped up water changes, filter cleaning, etc. at the same time.

I generally use some Brightwells calcium,Baked baking soda for alk,and Brightwells magnesium,and trying out some Brightwells Bio Reef Fuel.

water changes replenish trace elements but when you start getting into sps coral and even lps they start using up calcium and other elements. Right now i dose with pickling lime cause its cheap and easy.

Yeah,another year or 2 and we'll be sitting in the rocking chairs at the Cracker Barrel rocking and watching the traffic go by:Cheers:

I hope not Yote ... your younger than I am.

Reef,

I just about laughed myself out of my chair at that one!

Back