substrate

I want to make my sand bed thicker by about an inch...maybe just a lil less. How should i go about doing it without making and param spike or causing another cycle? Could i just slowly add like 3-5 cups a day, or can i just add the whole she bang, or just really slowly like over hours at a time or perhaps?:bowdown:

Well that about clears up the question. Just add a little at a time, but do it all at once. LOL !

That is great.

IME with only adding an inch you should be able to add it all at once, but any deeper i would add it in layers, 1" today, then maybe wait a week or so then 1" and so on. I may be crazy but thats how I would do it.

Hope that helps.

the only thing that would worry me at all with the live sand would be any dead that may be in it.. ( maybe cause a mini cycle? ).. I would rinse it really well ( bacteria will grow back) shut off powerheads for awhile while things settle a bit, then add it slowly using the pipe method mentioned above.. and I would keep the powerheads off for awhile after to let it settle a bit..

Last edited:
Back