Stupid Microbubbles CURSE YOUUUU!!!!

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
Ok. My water is CRYSTAL clear and I love looking at it. The problem is whenever I plug my skimmer back in I get a ridiculous amount of microbubbles and my water looks hazy. I am running a CPR Bakpak on it. I realize that some bubbles are an eventuality because it is a venturi style skimmer. But I mean comeon, at this rate my fish are going to have to use echolocation to find anything in there.
What can I do about this? I would like to run my tank with a skimmer only but this bubble situation is decreasing from my viewing pleasure and I dont think any of us here got into this hobby so we could say "Oh look how pretty the mircobubbles are!"

Depending on the model, I believe CPR makes a bubble trap. Or you can use the bio-bale stuff. You just need to clean it regularly or it can become a nitrate factory. I once tried stuffing a bunch of sponge in the return nozzle...overflowed the skimmer and made quite the mess. Dont try that one.

There may be a correct way to that method, but I sure didnt do it. If you do get it to work, you'll still have to remove it every day or two and rinse it out so it doesn't get all bunged up.

i just use a filter sock, just a really fine literally sock that i put over the return and zip tie it, never caused any problems, and great for catching bubbles and what not.

Just making sure your not actually gonna use a sock.... Hahaha
Its like a pool filter sock, mine was called, at Home Hardware.
I'm not really using a sock. :D I will be going to Lowes looking for a filter sock tomorrow. These bubbles are maddening. :frustrat:

I use this one for my fish baby tanks:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Filter-Sock-micron-Drawstring-inch/dp/B001EHM4SY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311564302&sr=8-7]Amazon.com: Filter Sock 100 micron With Drawstring 7in x 16 inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I'm not really using a sock. :D I will be going to Lowes looking for a filter sock tomorrow. These bubbles are maddening. :frustrat:
THANK YOU!!!! They drive me insane.
Now, after about 2 hours I was able to cut the microbubbles in half by filling a media bag 1/2 full of carbon and placing it in the return. It cant hurt because I would ASSUME it would help filter the water a bit, thoughts?

THANK YOU!!!! They drive me insane.
Now, after about 2 hours I was able to cut the microbubbles in half by filling a media bag 1/2 full of carbon and placing it in the return. It cant hurt because I would ASSUME it would help filter the water a bit, thoughts?
That's a good idea too.

I got tired of messing with it and read online that it might take a few days for the bubbles to slack off a bit. Either that, or I broke the damn thing.:D

I got tired of messing with it and read online that it might take a few days for the bubbles to slack off a bit. Either that, or I broke the damn thing.:D

LOL!

I have been running mine since the 7th and I had the microbubbles the whole time, but if you saw the picture of my tank when I first got it, its no wonder why I couldnt see anything in there.
After I got my lights boy were the damn bubbles apparent.

My skimmer always does this when I turn it off to clean the sponge or leave it off for cleaning for any length of time. It usually goes away after a few hours though. I tried the sock thing and for me it made it worse and made my skimmer louder because it was reducing the flow.

Back