SPM? (Salt-Per-Month)

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
How many bags/gallons-worth of salt would I go through in a given month?

I have enough to get my system up an running, but not enough to go through a few water changes with the LR cycle.

I use 15cups of salt mix a month. I dont know how many bags that would be because I buy a the 160g bucket of salt at a time and that lasts a while for me.

You'll loose a slight amount of salt in the skimmate from your skimmer,but if your doing regular weely waterchanges,it wont even be enough to show up on a refractometer.

No salt evaporates. You should only top off with fresh water.

Salt can leave your system via salt creep, but even that's so little. You're more apt to see your salinity creeping upwards over time than go down.

like yote and biff said the only salt youll lose is from skimmate and salt creep. i go through a 160 gallon bucket of salt a month with weekly water changes

the salt creep comes from the bubbles that pop at the surface at splatter on your lights or tank rim. I just make sure to clean that up every week. It only takes a minute to wipe down your tank and lights.

No salt evaporates. You should only top off with fresh water.

this is how the ocean has become salty over a couple billion years. Tiny amounts of salt, present in every fresh body of water, travel to the ocean, and since that's the lowest point it stays there, some water evaporates out, and then you start the whole process over again.... it's pretty cool.

Back