Skimmer

Dantitan

Reefing newb
Hey guys. I am looking to buy a skimmer for my 75gal. The problem is that I bought a skimmer on ebay, rated for a 150gal, for $40, and the damn thing wasn't worth a shart. (the ebay store refunded my money and didn't want the skimmer back, so I got a free powerhead out of it too) I was then going to get a SeaClone, but read on here that they aren't very good either. I am trying to stay around $100 for now. I know its hard to get a good one that cheap, but I am sort of on a budget for the moment. Any ideas?

If I were you, I'd wait and save up just a little bit more and get an octopus skimmer. They are great skimmers

Your tank will be fine without a skimmer for a little while, my tanks been running for 5 months now without a skimmer and it's been doing fine

I agree. Don't by a crappy one now -- you'll only have to replace it again down the road. Save up a bit. You can get a good Octopus skimmer for $150 to $250.

I've read that job filters won't do as much for saltwater tanks and the live rock will pull most of the work. Could he change his hob filter to a fuge with say chaeto in it?

E-shopps skimmers are popular for the budget minded hobbyist. So are the skimmers from AquaTraders.

I bought one of those AquaTraders PS-75 skimmers for the 30g frag tank and I liked it. It had lots of adjustments, so I was able to dial it in really nice. Came with a powerhead. Always worked great -- until I sold the tank and all my stuff. :grumble:

Back