skimmer

imdaring

love my reef
well last night I cleanned the collection cup and WHY I tweeked the water intake valve :frustrat: they are so touchy!!! and it started to produce bigger bubbles so I messed with it some more and then water shot out the tubes so I shut it off at1:30am afraid it was going to over flow... took it all apart this morning cleanned everything! and now its got the micro bubble that I want but no foam is coming up in the cup WTF :grumble::grumble::grumble:

now all I want to do is sit and watch it and I have TUNS if stuff to do LAUNDRY for one , I need to build a welping box for my dog that is due in 3 weeks and I have 3 kids to chase around calgone take me away

Yup, need to know what brand it is.

By taking it apart and cleaning it all - you just ruined the break-in slime coating it had. Now it needs to break in again. It's probably going to skim wet foamy water for about a week.

Adjust your air tube for maximum microbubbles. I find my skimmer is very touchy on the air inlet. I sit on the floor and watch the reaction chamber fill with bubbles as I open the air inlet thumb screw. It will begin to make bubbles slowly - and I will continue to open the thumb screw. As I open the screw air bubbles will increase to a point where the entire chamber is filled with what looks like milk. But at some point - it's reached maximum bubbles. The pump can only suck in so much air and still push water out before it becomes fouled with air bubbles and stops doing any pumping at all. At that point, the impeller becomes fouled from too much air and then I can clearly see the bubbles begin to decrease. I turn the thumb screw back in just a touch until the reaction chamber is so full of bubbles that it looks like milk again.

There's an optimum setting for the air inlet. It's been that way on every skimmer I've ever messed with. You have to spend some time screwing with it and getting it adjusted just right.

Once you have the air bubbles at maximum, then you can adjust the outlet tube on the skimmer body. I turn my outlet knob so that the bubbles are just entering the bottom half of the cone in my collection cup. This seams to produce a rich, dark skimmate.

Hope this helps. :Cheers:

Back