Should I buuy this...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
My stupid pet store across the street has a hamilton bell 175watt pendent light, that hasn't been used in like 8 months, but was used for like 6 months before that... It has a 5500 k bulb in it and I offered him 125.00 for it... I can buy it new for 209.00... Should I buy it? Also if I was to buy it, how much would a new 14000k to 20000k bulb cost, for a good one? Any thoughts would help... Thanks

Deluxe Fixtures & Retrofit Kits

Last edited:
i dont know much about pendants, but i would suggest (if you buy it) ... a Reeflux bulb. I am switching over to them from my XM's when the time comes (taxes). switching over to electronic ballasts too.

reefkeeper
really you are switching from XM why? I use them and are very happy.

ctimpson
I would offer less money a new bulb will cost about 80.00 so you will be at the same cost for it brand new..

Yeah even $100 for a new bulb depending on the brand. Halide bulbs are expensive. And if you buy it new, they usually come with a bulb.

No, I'm agreeing with Winy, that if you offer him what you said, AND you have to buy the bulb separately, you will end up paying as much as you would if you bought the whole thing new in the first place.

reefkeeper
really you are switching from XM why? I use them and are very happy.

ctimpson
I would offer less money a new bulb will cost about 80.00 so you will be at the same cost for it brand new..

a friend of mine has the 10K reeflux bulbs and his coloration on his SPS coral blows my corals out of the water !! mine look great, but his are AMAZING !!

the only difference in our systems is that he runs 3 x 250w 10k Reeflux bulbs on electronic ballasts and i run 3 x 250w XM bulbs on magnetic ballasts. our system sizes, water changes, salt mixes, skimmers and eveything else is almost identical.

A new bulb will cost anywere from 60.00 to 100.00 but thats not a bad price for a pendant. I have been looking around and the pendants run 100 to 150.

a friend of mine has the 10K reeflux bulbs and his coloration on his SPS coral blows my corals out of the water !! mine look great, but his are AMAZING !!

the only difference in our systems is that he runs 3 x 250w 10k Reeflux bulbs on electronic ballasts and i run 3 x 250w XM bulbs on magnetic ballasts. our system sizes, water changes, salt mixes, skimmers and eveything else is almost identical.

So I know that ctimpson said kill the thread, but this is SPS talk.

can you get a pic of his SPS I run 15K XM in the 850 and love the color I compared for a while 3 different K ratings in the system and landed with the 15K XM, but maybe when it comes time to change bulbs I will consider something different.

Back