shimmer

flourecents dont shimmer as much as MH. I would think that switching to MH would be your only option. It might or might not be worth the switch. It is entirley up to you.

led fixtures or mh lights will give you the shimmer beause they are like spot lights. floresent lights spread the light out more so you dont get that shimmer from them.

so mh is what i need would 2 150 watt mh work 4 my 75 gallon tank and what color temp is best if i run actinics also

if it is a regular 75 than it is about 20 to 21in tall. i think a 150 will work but if you can get 250s that would be better.

What kind of lights do you have right now? Unless you have crappy lights to start off with, I don't think that the shimmer in and of itself is a good enough reason to buy new lights. But, if you don't mind spending the money for what is to me a very unimportant and minor reason, then by all means, it's up to you!

my lighting is diy i have a 60 w 48in actinic 2 6500k 48in 40w 1 65w 10000k and 1 36in 20000k 40w it works but not really what i want i am on a budgit

If you are on a budget, then MH is probably not the way to go. They are expensive. T5s are cheaper and better suited to the type of tank that you have, but T5s don't shimmer.

I dont know.After running halides for 5 months,I'm kinda starting to think that the shimmer as important to the looks of the tank as the corals are.:D But thats just based on looks.
T-5s look good and give the corals the light they need,just without the shimmer.

Look more into the LED option. LEDs are coming as their technology improves. They do give the shimmer, you might be surprised at the wattage you can put together and you don't need a lot of watts to get a lot of light. My lfs is switching out all fluorescents on the fish only tanks to LED. Figures to save hundreds every month.

I'm going to look at a combo with LED and moon lights for transition lighting.

Back