Sea Shells In Tank

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I have about a quarter of my tank with nothing but sea shells. Is that OK for the sandiggers and snails to go thru the sand under the shells ? And can I put Polyps and soft corals in the shells or do they have to be in the rocks ?

I have a lot in my tank also. I always cure shells just like I would LR and I make sure there is nothing living on them when I do so. YOu don't want parasites from the ocean getting into your tank. Shells will cover with coralline eventually and I think they add calcium too.

Yes, I always boil them first. I just got another basket full tonight that I boiled and was going to put them in the tank. Just wanted to make sure the snails can still burrow through the sand under them to clean it.

I'm with Dan on this one. Makes sure your cleaning them well in your water changes. They are big time detrious traps

I've not had problems with detritus getting in them except for an 8 or 9 inch tall conch shell I have in my tank. The water inside the shell tends to stagnate along with some detritus. When I use a turkey baster to blast water into it the detritus shoots out. But I thought stagnant water is good for nitrifying bacteria?

When I do water changes, I always take a spatula and wave it on the rocks and shells to stir up the stuff on them. Will that help or should I take them out ?

Personally,I'd take em out.
When you stir the cud up,theres still no way of getting it all out of the tank,unless your doing a 100% changes.

Back