Sand

yote

In Memoriam
Alright.
I've finally sat down and figured out how much sand I'm gonna need for my 125.The total comes to 315lbs.
Plan on doing Oolite sized sand bed,at 6" deep.And since I can think of the 2docs,marine depot and pet solutions,Y'all post a few more link if y'all dont mind.
Help a brotha out.:D

the smaller the grain size the less crap that will get trapped in it. many people use the olite sand along with a deep sand bed in the tank or a shallow one in the tank and a deep remote sand bed in their fuge. you want 1 1\2 or more than 5 inches

I've been having trouble with my almost DSB of about 4 to 5 inches. You must have good sand stirrers with a DSB and Nassarius snails, blennys, conchs & stars tend to only sift the sand near the surface. I can see detritus building up deeper in my sand bed and I have to deep-stir it myself a little bit every other day.

Heard a nightmare story recently: guy drained tank to get a fish out and then when pumping all water back in, it stirred up the excessive detritus in his sand bed causing an ammonia spike that killed everything in his tank!

This is an argument for bristleworms --they deep stir the sand.

A sand bed of 4 to 5 inches is kinda pointless anyways. It's not deep enough to be a DSB, and it's not shallow enough to keep clean. There is no benefit to having sand at that depth, not to mention it takes up tank space.

Yote you are planning on going mostly SPS in this tank correct? Would you consider going bare-bottom with a starboard insert? It would allow for mega-flow without the sand storm, you could have a couple of urchins to help with clean up chores. Just a little food for thought.

Yote you are planning on going mostly SPS in this tank correct? Would you consider going bare-bottom with a starboard insert? It would allow for mega-flow without the sand storm, you could have a couple of urchins to help with clean up chores. Just a little food for thought.

I thought about that Ryan.But I like the way sand tends to move the flow and ripple up.Always changing just a little every day.
I am planning on this tank being all mostly SPS with a few LPS thrown in.

Actually thinking around 9" of sand in the display with an additionl 9" or so in the fuge.Along with a couple of buckets set up for a RBSD.At least at this point.
Also tossing around a complete start over with all new rock,just to get rid of the kenya weeds.

dont forget the mantis. and yote if you go with 9 in the DT then your going to tank this tank right back down to 75-80 gallons

That really dont bother me Dustin.Its the 2 extra feet that I really want.The deep sand will get the coral closer to the light,which will be good.
There will also only be a couple of fish in there.My Atlantic blue tang for sure and maybe some type of small wrasse.

Back