sand vs rock

littleyea1

Reefing newb
Ok I have had my saltwater reef tank for about 2 years now. The water quality is pretty good and everything in my tank is either growing slowly or doing fine I would say. Yet I used white pebble rocks when I first got my tank because the cost was liek 10 dollars and I was poor and didn't know anything about saltwater tanks, nor did I look up anything. Now I am wondering is it benificial for me to have a sand bed. Could the rock be be hurting my tank in anyway. I never hear of anyone without a sand bed?

It's definitely beneficial. Not only does sand provide a ton of surface area for good bacteria to live, but it acts as a buffer for your tank, keeping your pH stable. It's also habitat for a lot of different critters. I don't think the rock is hurting, but it's certainly not helping anything.

I once had a pebble bed in a really small tank (5-10G), also had a under gravel filter. Problem is that the waste just sits in between the pebbles, very hard to clean, and the filter plate just got jammed up with waste. Least with sand you can get a cleaner crew to help you out, as well as all those beatifically bacteria like biff said.
Im not quite 100% sure how you would take out the rock and put sand in as it may spike nitrates fairly easily. But i would do it incredible slowly eg hand full every could days etc.

Back