salvaging rock

Gary

Reefing newb
I gave up on a tank with severe algae problems. I want to reuse the rock, what is the best way to clean it? Someone suggested boiling it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

get a bucket of fresh salt water and one by one clean off every rock in that bucket with a hard bristled tooth brush

Agreed.Then once thats done,keep it in a tub where no light at can get to for a week or so.Just keep the water flowing around the rock and completely change out the water in the tub once or twice.
That should kill any algae left over from the scrubbing.

Many people who have lr and algae problems do whats called "cooking" the rock. Take the rock out of the tank and put it in a brute or rubbermaid container with fresh sw, a ph and heater if necessary. Keep the rock dark. Change about 50% of the water every week. In about 4-6 weeks, the algae will be dead and gone and the phosphate that may have accumulated in the rock with be purged.

Do what I did. Take the rock out and let it turn bone dry for days or even weeks. Then scrub it and cure it a drum of heated, saltwater. Nothing should be alive on it. It only takes one algae cell to start it all over again.

Do what I did. Take the rock out and let it turn bone dry for days or even weeks. Then scrub it and cure it a drum of heated, saltwater. Nothing should be alive on it. It only takes one algae cell to start it all over again.

what is the point of buying live rock then you kill all the life on the rock? if you are going to do that just buy base rock and save yourself a lot of money.

what is the point of buying live rock then you kill all the life on the rock? if you are going to do that just buy base rock and save yourself a lot of money.

I didn't buy live rock. I collected my own from the ocean and let it turn dry for a month to ensure no unwanted hitchhikers came in. (No, I did not pick off live coral).

Back