Salinty question

Marke86

Coral Junkie
I am using Oceanic Natural sea salt mix and it said to use half a cup per gallon
which would equal 10 cups, but I checked it when I used only 8 cups and my tank has a perfect salinty why is that?
My measurments are 24 1/4 w, 15 7/8 t, 12 1/2
Im 90% sure that this is 20 gallons?

Thank you,
Mark

Who knows. With salt, you can't go by the directions exactly. It's just an estimate. Add enough salt that your salinity is in the correct range (1.021-1.026) and you'll be fine.

You also got to keep in mind that filters and skimmers hold water.Your sand and rock displaces water.So you may have a little more than 20 gallons or a little less.
When I mix 15 gallons for a water change,it takes 7-1/2 cups to get a salinity of 1.026 most of the time.

when i do a water change i have to take out 45 gallons of water and i fill my 45 gallon drum up with fresh water then i use a pot and i mix salt in untill i get the right salinty...............i dont even measure the salt i just do it the redneck way

also, let the new mixture sit for a while (about 10 mintues) and measure again. it may change.

if it reads right, go with it.

-Doc

Aquarium gallon ratings are nominal. Just like a lumber 2 by 4 is not 2" by 4" a 20 gallon tank is not necessarily 20 gallons. A gallon is equal to 231 cubic inches. The measurements you give total 4812.83 cubic inches or 20.83 gallons. However I am sure this is an outside set of dimensions meaning you must subtract for glass thickness. With 1/4" glass your dimensions are 23 3/4" x 15 5/8 x 12 = 4453.125 or 19.275 gallons filled to the rim. Did you measure your tank or are you using manufacturers given measurements. Manufacturers include the plastic rims in their measurements. Also temperature effects salinity measurements. Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer for your measurements? It has been many years since I have measured salt for mixing, but 20% less salt seems unlikely to be right. Of course some places have so much calcium in their water the ground turns white with powdered calcium from irrigation. Right Biffer. Ya got ta to love that Alkali Arizona water. I could not imagine trying to make reef water with Arizona ground or tap water.

Last edited:
Aquarium gallon ratings are nominal. Just like a lumber 2 by 4 is not 2" by 4" a 20 gallon tank is not necessarily 20 gallons. A gallon is equal to 231 cubic inches. The measurements you give total 4812.83 cubic inches or 20.83 gallons. However I am sure this is an outside set of dimensions meaning you must subtract for glass thickness. With 1/4" glass your dimensions are 23 3/4" x 15 5/8 x 12 = 4453.125 or 19.275 gallons filled to the rim. Did you measure your tank or are you using manufacturers given measurements. Manufacturers include the plastic rims in their measurements. Also temperature effects salinity measurements. Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer for your measurements? It has been many years since I have measured salt for mixing, but 20% less salt seems unlikely to be right. Of course some places have so much calcium in their water the ground turns white with powdered calcium from irrigation. Right Biffer. Ya got ta to love that Alkali Arizona water. I could not imagine trying to make reef water with Arizona ground or tap water.

Dude, you have got to dumb it down. I am just not smart enough to follow all your posts ;)

-Doc

If you think its bad now I start back to school next week. I told Biffer I envy her ability to, as you would say, "dumb it down." I spend 50 percent of my time with Engineers, Chemists and other technical Doctorates, to to me I am dumbing it down. And here I thought it would be Biffer comin" back at me about Arizona water! Thanks Doc. I will try to "dumb it down."

No I did not measure the glass part but it is more than 16 gallons for sure I definently apreciate such an accurate answer I think im just going to leave it as is and go get my water tested on thursday.
Thank you,
Mark

Salt companies must make a fortune off of Arizona residents. 400+ Culligan probably loves Arizona. What is the median age there now, about 50 or 60. Retirees waiting in line for new homes there I expect. But what does a pretty young woman like you see in Arizona?

Wish I could say the same about Alaska, it would definitely be a lie though. Tuition up here is ridiculous. I know I get email spam from Arizona colleges constantly. Mainly for on line degrees though. Going where there is work when you graduate, or are you going to where you would like to live? Teaching, or research? I know, personal questions.

Back