Salifert vs. API

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I got my Salifert calcium test kit and I compared the results to the API. They were both right around 450ppm. So I guess you be the judge.

BTW, isn't 450ppm a little high for not even dosing calcium? Although I am using reefcrystals which has a nice calcium boost. IDK.

Good salt brands will keep the calcium around 400 to 500, and unless you have a lot of SPS using it up, it will stay high with each water change.

a good test kit should match the results of another. I prefer Salifert kits due to their good reputation. I used Reef for a while and found the calcium to be about 450 as well, but low on DKh - about 9.

-Doc

Higher quality salts will be low in alkalinity because they expect that you are using a calcium reactor, which would slowly raise your alklinity over time. TM pro, reef crystals and a couple others will be a lot heavier on calcium and light on alkalinity, so adjust your buffers or whatever accordingly.

for me salt is salt. i am not worried about what are the levels on the water i am going to use for water change. i am more worried on what my tank water levels is at? no matter how much you keep the levels on your new water match to your tank it will still never be the same as soon as you add this to the display. the reason i said this is this, let's say you have a 100 gal total water volume and do a 30% water change, and you make your new water the same level as to your tank then do the water change. when you test your tank after the change let's say after a day, i bet yous it will be a different reading as to your original reading before the maintenance. so why bother adding supplements to the new water when you are still going to add supplement to the tank after a day or two. this is JMO basing on my own experience. you may have different take on this but hey what do i know, i am no expert, i just stayed at the holiday inn last night. :)

and as for the test kit. i prefer API over salifert. easier to use and IMO they give you the same reading and cheaper too.

I think McCrary's right.
I know with Oceanic,my calcium will be 480 to 500 99% of the time in a fresh mix.
And like Kimoy,I dont add anything to my change water.Its gonna drop when I add it to the tank any how.

Back