Rock Stack

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Guys I need some recommendations. When I finally get water in my tank and it comes time for aquascaping, what should I do? Stack the rock and leave it. Drill and peg it or epoxy it into manageable sections? Ill have about 300lbs wet weight when I get the rest of it next weekend.

What do you think about using carbon fiber arrow shafts if I decide to peg it? I have a ton of old arrows and have access to the cut offs from the local pro-shops.

I've never glued or pegged any of mine together. I just stack it up and use small pieces of rubble to wedge into cracks so the pile stays stable.

My problem was it took me several months to finally settle on an aquascape setting that appealed to me. I ended up with a C shape. It covers most of the back wall and wraps around to the sides and even a bit into the front. The back wall is 3/4 up the tank. It slopes gently downward around the sides and to the front.

I also spent some time exploring different corals. When I first got back into the hobby, I had no idea what I'd like. I started with zoas and mushrooms. 14 months into it--I figured out I like LPS. My tank is now aquascaped to take advantage of how the LPS acans and blastos will grow.

If you know what corals you like and you know where they will be placed, then I'd say go ahead and glue then together. With glue, you don't have to worry about drilling holes and they can be busted apart later.

If you'r still undecided about what corals you like or you don't have a plan on exactly how you want the tank aquascaped, then it may be best to just stack and wedge small pieces for stability. You could end up changing your mind and wanting to change the look later.

My advice would be to not make anything permanent. I guarantee that you will have to move the rocks at some point to find something that got blown away, fell behind them, etc.

you'll end up regretting it if you glue everything together.You'll eventually have a prized coral fall behind the rock,or a fish get back there and die or something.Plus as you add corals,you'll have to move things around a bit.
I'm still moving rocks around,after a year.And still aint that happy with it.

I would just stack and wedge pieces into place. To this day I'm still moving my rocks around. Seems as my fish grow they need more swimming room so I either have to move a rock or coral.

I was worried about rocks tumbling if you remember, but I haven't had to worry at all. Because of the grooves in the rocks as long as you stack them smartly you won't have to worry about tumbling. In a big tank like yours I'd probably go with 3 Islands. I really like watching fish swim around rock formations instead of in the same pattern all the time.

Im going to go with two long arced islands with a spire somewhere in the front maybe a tonga branch bridge maybe not we'll see how it stacks up.

I have two islands in my tank -- my fish and I really like that design, the fish love to swim in between them and around them. My first island is about 4 feet long, and is shaped like a C, with the ends facing the front glass. My second island is about 2 feet long and is just round like an O.

Islands look cool.

Thats kinda what I had in mind Biff, except I wanted to make both islands look like one big C with like a canyon in the center of them.

Back