Rock Question or reassurance

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
Just purchased a friends biocube and was wondering if the rocks are good or should there be more color. Not really sure what to look for. I guess just need some reassurance. I just got a new white 10k bulb. Getting a actinic lights on Thursday when I get paid. Thanks for all the help and advice y'all give. Sure makes getting into the hobby a lot easier/cheaper too. Thanks lil Matty.

Fish Tank 6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fish Tank 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fish Tank 4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fish Tank 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fish Tank 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Color comes with time...Live Rock? if not get some with and seed it The three most important things to remember in saltwater....Takes Time...Needs Time....Spend Time

Did the rock come with it, or did you add it after you bought the tank from your buddy? They certainly appear to be non-cured rocks, which over a short time will become live and start to color up.

The rocks came with the tank. He had it all up and running and cycled but thier a/c quit for a couple of days and got to hot and everything died off. He's moving to SC and didnt want to move it and sold it to me for $100 which I didn't think was a bad deal. I just wasn't sure if it was live or if some1 could tell. Thanks lil Matty

Either way, if he experienced a massive dye off, the rock and sand will become live again. Just start it up, and get it cycling.

Do you have anything in the tank? Fish, coral, inverts? Have you set it up to start a cycle, or running on the premise that it was already up and cycled when you bought it?

I would start it over, cycle it. I have to assume that with you moving it, and re-setting it back up you would have stirred up at least some nitrates.

Ok. What would be the best way to do that? Should I go buy a lil piece of live rock and put it on top and try to seed the rest better? Or just let it be?

Back