RO Unit and skimmer

Aha I've been woundering who bought that ro unit, because I was thinking of buying it my self but wanted to know how good it worked. So dfrench you do like it? Have you used a tds meter on the water yet to see how good it came out? Also have you checked the perameters onit to see if it checks out? Also Nedim you might be better off getting the 125 model skimmer because your tanks not that big and the 220 might over skim, not to mention you'll save about 50.00 I think. Just my 0.2 though I might be wrong.

Im kind of confused about lighting. Im looking for a fixture that will work for corals, and that has lunar lights for nighttime viewing. Is there such a fixture where you can turn off the "day bulbs" and turn on the night bulbs without having to actually remove/replace the bulbs?

Sure is. Usually the lunar lights are very small LED lights (about the size of a pea), they are not actual bulbs. They always stay on, but they are so dim that you don't notice them when the day lights are on. The T5's I have come with 4 lunar lights that are built in between the day bulbs, and when the day bulbs turn off, the lunar lights stay on. If you want new lights, I'd highly recommend T5's, they are cheaper than metal halide, they won't heat up your tank, and you can keep pretty much everything under them.

If I remember right, you can over skim by taking out the trace eliments that your coarls will need

bobby said:
If I remember right, you can over skim by taking out the trace eliments that your coarls will need

Yup! I wish I could remember the exact elements. I've got it in a book around here somewhere.

That's up for debate. There are two schools of thought, one group says you can overskim and your water will be "too clean", then there's another group that says there's no such thing as water that's too clean. I tend to agree with the latter, the cleaner the better! You can always add trace elements to the water if you need to.

Bifferwine said:
That's up for debate. There are two schools of thought, one group says you can overskim and your water will be "too clean", then there's another group that says there's no such thing as water that's too clean. I tend to agree with the latter, the cleaner the better! You can always add trace elements to the water if you need to.

I'm just agreeing that skimming removes certain trace elements. I don't have an opinion on if you can overskim or not. :D

your not going to lose your trace elements, some trace elements come from your sea salt from regular water changes, and that would only probally be important if you were doing a sps tank but then im sure you would have a calcium reactor or kalk mix on tank. Plus you won't over skim if your getting a coralife super skimmer seen it action it does ok not real impressive, you need a aqua c remora skimmer. On my 125 i use a remora pro with a bigger rio pump which is rated for i think 120 gallon and a prizm pro that says is for up to 300 gallon and they fill up pretty good i empty them every week. If your worried about price watch on reef central in equipment selling forum you can find one cheap there.

Back