RO/DI, few questions?

BL1

It's been a week and I've already gone through 40 g
allons of store bought water! So, today or tomorrow I'll be buying an RO/DI unit. I'm trying to find a unit between $150-200 but, there are so many options out there. I'm not too worried about gpd since I don't use more than 10g a day anyway. But, I'm hoping someone can explain what the stage numbers mean .... is 3 stage ok for an aquarium or should I go for a 5-6 stage system?

Here a few few I've been looking at:
AQUA REEF RO DI REVERSE OSMOSIS PUR WATER FILTER SYSTEM - eBay (item 350324650649 end time Mar-16-10 16:00:31 PDT)
75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Standard System - English
75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Economy System - English
Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units

The first system you have listed by Filter Direct is perfect. I actually installed that very same unit last night and it works great. Instructions are very good and it's very easy to install and use.

As for the filter direct model I have that one and the stages are:
1st stage is a sediment filter, 2nd and 3rd are carbon filters, 4th stage is an RO membrane, 5th and 6th stages are DI resin chambers.

Hiker & VA, thanks for your suggestions ... I just ordered mine from Filter Direct, and I'll be looking forward to not having to go to the store and pay to lug water back home.
Thanks Again!

Unless you have unusual tap water, such as water that contains chloramines, or has high sediment loads, there is no reason for more than 2 prefilters (the filters that come before the RO membrane).

With typical tap water, we recommend a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a 0.5 micron carbon block (NOT GAC!).

Those prefilters should be followed by a RO membrane and a full size, vertical, refillable DI resin cartridge (for a total of 4 stages). Add more stages only to address specific issues.

Russ

Back