Return pump quick question : /

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Okie..So yesterday I had a massive migraine. Puking..double vision..etc..I thought I was having a stroke. Apparently at some point in the day I received a package. This morning I found out my external overflow and my return pump had come in the mail!

I screwed up when I ordered. I got a 1000gph external overflow..and I 1300gph return pump.

My quick question is: Can I put a ball valve on the return line to limit the flow being pushed by my pump to my tank?

Pump is rated at no rise on the line, so if you're going up a few feet the pump will lose a little pressure in the head pressure it needs to push. I'm sure it will be fine, I have a ball valve in my return line just to shut it down to clean the pump or swap it out.

Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. Glad to hear you got new stuff for your tank.

I would recommend a gate valve rather than a ball valve if you plan on using it to limit flow.

My overflow was very loud when I let it free flow the full 1000 gph. I ended up putting a ball valve on it and made a mini standpipe for it to get rid of most of the gurgling. My return was a mag 9.5 on a 90 gallon. Also you may want to divert some of the return water to your refugium if you have one. That would help if the return does happen to be to big.

Back