Really!!!?

Good point RC (and very observant) It would be cheaper to fly to a reef, rent scuba equipment, catch the little sucker, and fly back than to buy it from 2 Docs.

Ahh. Well a beautiful fish it is. interesting that it is deep water. I wonder if deep water species have problems liveing in our tanks due to the differences in water pressure and gas saturation.

Perhaps this is one of those little fishies that should REMAIN in the ocean, or MAYBE in a professional aquarium. Most of our home tanks are more designed for shallow water species. I'd be worried about their stress level.

Ahh. Well a beautiful fish it is. interesting that it is deep water. I wonder if deep water species have problems liveing in our tanks due to the differences in water pressure and gas saturation.

As long as the diver brings them up slowly they will adjust to the pressures. and they do prefer to be in a dimly lite aquarium but will usually adjust.

Even so....that's almost like putting an orangutan in an enclosure with only a pond in the floor and expecting it to eventually swim in it and be happy about it! *L*

Lots of our corals are from deep water too. Well - maybe not deep by ocean standards. But IMO 90-100 feet is pretty deep and lots of our corals come from those depths. They don't seam to be bothered by the lack of water pressure in out 24" deep tanks.

Fishies have swim bladders that they can inflate and deflate for buoyancy. They just can't do it fast - which is why when you go fishing and you pull a lake trout up from 140 feet of water his swim bladder is coming out of his mouth.

Good point RC. I guess it wasn't so much the pressure I was concerned with, but other conditions exist in deeper water than in shallow water....such as cooler, more steady temperatures, darker, etc.

Even so....that's almost like putting an orangutan in an enclosure with only a pond in the floor and expecting it to eventually swim in it and be happy about it! *L*

I agree its an advanced aquarist fish. I would love to have one, If I had the money I probably would.

Doesn't that go for all of our fish that came from the ocean, we hope that they will eventually be happy in the glass box that we put them in :Cheers: and they usually do become happy or at least tolerate it. :)

Yup, you are right! I guess I just feel more guilty about fish that require much more advanced care to be kept captive than the fish that easily adapt to changing environments. I often think about the conditions in my tank and how my actions or inactions impact the health of the little ecosystem that I have created. In the open oceans, and in natural reef systems, if the conditions get bad, the fish have the option to emmigrate. They don't have that option in our tanks.

Back