question about salifert tests

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
I just started using salifert kits for phos, mag and nitrate. The mag works great and the phos reads 0.50 while my API phos test reads undetectable. My real quandary is with the nitrate test.
Biff, I know I read here that you use the salifert nitrate kit-- do you REALLY put ONE ml into the test tube? Because when I do that it barely covers the bottom of the tube! Also it reads over 25ppm, but when I use the old API test I've been using, its more like 5-10ppm. And also when you set the tube down squarely onto the color strip it makes the sample much darker than if you hold it off the card even 1/4 of an inch. When its placed on the card it makes a shadow it seems. Weird, to me anyway. Do you all have much experience with these tests? Thanks! BTW I'll post pics of my new SPS frags from reefapalooza soon

I've been using the Salifert magnesium and calcium.But havnt tryed the phosphate or nitrate kits.

Now where are the new SPS pics?:D

Jag I use that kit, yep one ML and a level scoop of each powder swirl for 30 seconds let sit for 3min. Med range test look from top down with the container on the card. Follow the directions for the low range test looking through the side. I think its color divided by 10

Yeah, you need very little water (1 ml) because you are supposed to look through the bottom of the container (well, like Ryan said, depending on if you are taking a high level or low level reading). I know it doesn't look like much, but it works, so hey.

Back