QT Tank

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I have a QT tank set up for any new fish. To make a story short any new fish I put in it only survive a day or two. I even broke it down and cleaned it with vinegar. I refilled it with my MT water. Got a filter going and airsone. I even tested the water. What is wrong?

It's safe to clean an aquarium with vinegar? When I got my 50 gallon used for 75$ it had all kinds of salt residue and crap built up on it, the guy at the LFS told me not to use anything but water and a brand new razor blade.

Vinegar is the safest thing you can use. I clean all my stuff with vinegar, just be sure to rinse it when you're done. It's such a weak acid that the worst it can do to your tank is drop the pH a bit.

Do the fish act kinda wierd when you put them in the QT?

About the only other thing I can think of is maybe a faulty heater.
I've seen heaters at the LFS go bad and kill every fish in the tank just from the voltage getting into the water.

most fish like to have a hiding spot when they are acclimating to a new tank. If you have a bare QT tank, they may get stressed out and die. I have seen a small diameter, short piece of PVC pipe used as a hiding spot for fish in the QT. Worth a shot. Also, airstones are not useful IMO, but you do need a powerhead or else the fish with suffocate.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Can you post a pic of the QT tank?

Have you tested the water in the QT tank? Ammonia? pH? Nitrate? etc..

Here's the pic and all test are good.

QT.jpg

it looks good to me. the only feedback I have is wondering if the castle is specifically for salt water. many times, adding ornamental pieces like that will leech paint into the water as the salt corrodes it and can kill the inhabitants. I didn't see a powerhead, but I only looked briefly.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back