Protein skimmer

algy1943

Reefing newb
when I carry out my weekly water change the water level in the sump rises until the tank water reaches the weir level and the protein skimmer stops working properly, IE the foam ceases and dose not start foaming again for a couple of days, has anyone else had problems with skimmers?

I know my skimmer is really sensitive to the water level. I try to take a bunch of water out first before I turn off my return pump to avoid this situation.

I know my skimmer is really sensitive to the water level. I try to take a bunch of water out first before I turn off my return pump to avoid this situation.
Thats a great idea, I will reduce the tank level down to weir height then turn off return pump and see if that works, thanks again

I turn mine off also every time I turn the return pumps off, otherwise it produces a lot of foam and fills up the cup in seconds.

Trouble is David if I turn the skimmer off same thing happens, takes at least 24hrs before it starts foaming, was going to buy a new cone skimmer but the footprint is too big to fit in my skimmer space in the sump what a b****rd

Allen I'm sure you've posted this before, but what Brand of Skimmer do you have? Maybe someone has the same thing and can trouble shoot it. :dunno:

Also couldn't you do an external cone skimmer, next to your sump?

Back