Protein Skimmer

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
ok I'm probably just being impatient because my skimmer has only been running for about three days now but I'm not sure if it's working properly or not.

It's started foaming and is starting to fill the collection cup, but currently all of the foam is white? I was under the impression that it should be a light brown color. Is this a problem of adjusting the air or water flow?

What type of skimmer? Airstone or pump?
If pump, you need to let it break in, it can take a while.

Also, being your tank is so new, you may not have too much "crap" in there to skim out yet.

Make sure your collection cup is adjusted so the foam stays in the "neck" of the cup. The bad foam will rise and eventually push itself into the cup.

Good Luck.

I have the same little rio skimmer as well...now mine is on my QT tank and not a display tank. My LFS has one on their little tank at the register and it seems to be keeping the water clean. The protein skimmer on that thing isnt anything great, it will start working when you put stuff into it but it wont work spectacularly, because small protein skimmers arnt that great. Clean the filter when its needed and you should be fine.

Back