protein skimmer working correctly?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Okay so I just started using my Rio nano skimmer today and I just want a rundown on how this thing is supposed to work? Many of you know i was using melafix in my tank so I'm sure this is affecting the skimmer. Is it supposed to he foaming over into the collection cup a lot? Or is the foam only supposed to go like halfway up the tube? Mine is producing a lot of wrt foam. It leaves water in the collection cup. Is this the normal breaking in thing? I don't white understand how this skimmer is ssopposed to look when it is functioning right so idk if its right or wrong..please help. I'm confused..:(

That is not normal breaking in behavior -- but that is what happens when you use Melafix. You are going to have to wait for the Melafix to be removed or broken down from your system before the skimmer starts to work properly.

When it is working properly, the liquid in the collection cup will be thick and dark brownish/green. Right now, the liquid in the cup is probably thin, watery and white.

Well its overflowing with white watery thin foam. Should I just leave of on. If I do I'm afraid the collection cup will overflow with water while I'm asleep. It either push the venturi tube all the way down and don't get any foam at all or pull it up ever so slightly and get a ton of wet white foam.

It took me over a month to get my skimmer to the point where it wouldnt overflow from foam after dosing my 180 with Melafix. My advice to you is turn if off when you arent home, but let it run when you're around. Eventually the over foaming will stop when the Melafix has been removed from the system

I ran mine after getting home from work for about 4 days of constant overflowing into a 5 gallon bucket after the melafix episode before it would run reliably.

The lesson i learned was never ever EVER does the DT with something.

Okay biff that sounds like a good plan. I'm going to do that. Thanks for all the great advice! You seem to know everything!

I dont know everything, I just went through pretty much the same exact thing. Now that my skimmer got dialed in my tank is much much cleaner

Now Sarah (Bifferwine) on the other hand - she knows EVERYTHING

Lol she does know a lot. All of this is so new to me. It's a lot different than freshwater. So I panic sometimes bc idk what to expect if that makes any sense.

Back