Protein skimmer selection

Tangy

Reefing newb
I've been out of reef keeping for over 5 years due to a related house fire and college and am now looking to get back into the hobby. The current project is to take a stock 30-50 gallon tank and add a 4-5in partition to act as a wet/dry filter (something like this Clear For Life UniQuarium-Rectangle in 24 Sizes). Then, using a large pump, divide the flow into 4-5 hidden pipes to use for all the water movement. The overall goal: to create the most natural looking setting. The question of protein skimming selection comes down to one thing: noise. What is the quietest skimmer I can buy for ~50 gallon tank?
(Price is no object)

This is the skimmer I'm running on my 125.E.T.S.S. Reef Devil Deluxe Protein Skimmer - AquaCave
Even with a MagDrive 12 pump,I cant hear it over the trickle of water through my overflows.

It looks like a sump model. Will it work as an in-tank skimmer? Also won't a triple over-sized downdraft skimmer remove far more from the tank than what I want? ( I've read articles on how efficient the downdraft skimmers are at removing iodine and other trace elements)

It can be run in the sump or external.I got mine setting in the sump for now,but will eventually plumb it in so its outside the sump.
As for removing the trace elements,as long as your keeping up with your waterchanges,thats not gonna be a problem.

Back