Problems calibrating new refractometer

bjohanson1234

Ok, I got a new refractometer for christmas. This one
Saltwater Aquarium Salinity & Specific Gravity Testing: Portable Refractometer

And I finally got a chance to try and use it today. Except that when I try and turn the calibration screw, it doesnt move at all. I think it might be the tiny little screw drive I just cant seem to get a good grip on. But I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem because I might be having to send this back to get a new one.

Brian

You should not use distilled water. They make a calibrating solution. A lot of people use fresh water and are using a refractometer that is not correct. I was guilty of this for a long time. I thought I was at .026 and I was reading. 028

The adjustment screw should be fairly easy to turn.Sounds like yours is stuck.
I had always used either RO or distilled water to calibrate my old refractometer with too.Then when I had to by a new refractometer,it can with a bottle of the calibration fluid.So I did a little test.
I calibrated the NEW refractometer with RO water,then tested the calibration fluid which was supposed to read 35ppt.It actually showed the fluid to be closer to 49ppt.
To get the BEST results,get a cheap bottle of the calibration fluid.It'll at least give you peace of mind.

Back