Powerhead on/off?

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
K so I was reading articles on cloudiness of water(its clearing in my tank now :D) but some places say in the case of cloudy water do to the sand debris u should leave ur powerhead off because it just moves the sand around more causing a stir, and some say u should leave them on well the sand is settling. What do I do??! lol

I turn my system off when cleaning. However when I turn it back on the water does get cloudy for about an hour. I don't think you can avoid it.

Edit:
WTF: Obviously I read cleaning and not clearing. Sorry Tanner.

Last edited:
If you aim your powerheads so it stirs the detritus from the sand w/o stirring it, you should be fine. It will take a few tweaks. I'm still tweaking my 125's powerheads cuz i keep getting bald spots. I also rinsed the crap out of my sand before putting it in, so when the sand is stirred, I don't get any cloudy water. It's not dangerous, from what I understand, but just not visually appealing. So rinsing sand BEFORE putting it in helps a lot.

Yeah I did rinse somewhat but I guess not enough, when I got back from school it was basically opaque. But now its cleared up quite abit.

And haha no problem , it happens dcan

Back