plumbing questions

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Ok, I'm looking at my new setup, and I'm noticing the bulkheads are either 2" or 1.5", but then they reduced it down to 1", maybe 3/4" (sorry, I'm too lazy to get a tape right now. Anyways, I'm guessing they did this because they had originally planned on running the mag 9.5 and didn't need large plumbing. Anyways, I plan on running a mag 18 or comparable (if any of you have suggestions on pump brand) and I'm wondering how big my lines need to be to get the 1800gph required out of my drains. Thanks!

I think I would run at least 1-1/2" maybe even 2" all the way to the pump.I think that would give you the flow rate your looking for.

I used the 1-1/2" flex hose on mine.Just because it came with the wet/dry I was running.But I'll probably hard plumb my 125 when I start it.

What is this exactly,is it 1 or 2-1''drain?One inch drain is rated at 600gph but realistically,it can only handle 300-400gph before ''burping'' and ''gurgling''.I believe a mag 12 would be a better fit for 2-1'' drains.Personally,mags in big sizes are too loud externally and heat up the water to much ran internally.Check out the Panworlds water pumps at Premium Aquatics.Give them a call,I'm sure they can help more.

I use vinyl tubing,btw.

The bulkheads are 1.5" threaded on the inside, but there is a reducer that brings it down to 1" So I'm guessing I'll just go straight from the 1.5 to 1.5 hose, or hard plumb it down with 1.5" PVC. SOOOOO, with two 1.5" going from tank to sump, will it deliver 1800GPH? Next question, I need a pump to bring it back up, I'm wanting to build my stand at least 32" to get the display up a bit, and allow more room for a skimmer, so it's going say up 5' from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank

Last edited:
My bulkheads are 1-1/2'' as well but the inside diameter of the drain is only 1''.I'm using 1-3/4'' vinyl hose but inside diameter is only 1''.I'm still thinking you are max at 1200gph(800gph realistically).

Whichever the case,you could still use a Mag 18,just the throttle it back with a ball valve if needed.

Ok, I think thats what I'll go with then, a mag 18 at 5' lift is only 1200, so it should all work together. I'm thinking of an eheim too, I really want it to be QUIET

Are you using the Mag externally or internally?Mags are pretty loud ran outside the sump.I believe Biff mention the Eheim were quiet pumps.

Externally,I would look at the Panworld.

I haven't decided, I am turning my 50 predator into a sump, so I'll probably have room to do either. Which is preferable?

When you get into larger tanks needing larger pumps,external is the way to go.Saves space in the sump for equipment and like I mentioned earlier,larger submersible pumps heat the water even more when ran submerged.

I used to use an Eheim as my return pump, but now I have it on my skimmer instead. Mine is very quiet (more quiet than the MagDrive, but the MagDrive is bigger and more powerful).

I use all PVC for my setup. It was easier to find all the parts/connectors/valves etc. I needed that fit directly into the PVC vs. vinyl tubing.

Back