pH issues

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
lately my PH has been staying at closer to 7.8-8.0 and I CAN'T get it back up! I've done water changes, added more PH up than I'd like, and it doesn't seem to want to change....
It was stable for a while, and now I feel stressed out trying to get it back to 8.4! Any ideas?
Thanks..

the other thing i just thought of is when do you test your ph? test after the lights have been for a long time and see if it has gone up it will be at its highest right before the lights come on and will be at its lowest right before they come on.

I always test it at 5pm so I get a "stable" reading. Yeah, I know 7.8 is okay, but I want 8.2!!! It used to be there. I think it might have something to do with my skimmer not being operation right now...

I've tested it with two solutions, same number!
What's with all these faulty kits out there, too? How can anyone rely on some of this stuff...
Yeah, I don't like dumping stuff in continuously either....

A lot of reefers have problems with ph, so you're not alone. I struggled with ph problems too. Until I read this article:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

I decided my problem was elevated co2 levels in the tank.

Here is a powerhead in the return section of my HOB refugium. This is my 10g frag tank. It doesn't pump anywhere. It's just there to bounce water off the walls and churn it up. It increases the oxygen level in the tank and helps reduce the co2 levels. That little 60gph powerhead churns the water in my return section before it goes back to the tank. Gas exchange!!!

I used to have problems with pH in both my tanks. I've put a powerhead in the return section on both of them and my pH is holding at 8.2 now. All I did was put the powerhead in there to churn the water up.

Last edited:
Back