Ph buffer question

Marke86

Coral Junkie
Well my tank finaly finshed cycling after adding 10 more pounds of live rock a week ago. So I went and got my first fish "ocellaris" so my question is my fish going to eat my ph buffer when it is still disolving? It seems like a dumb question to me but im kinda worried about it.
Thanks

allways mix the buffer in a cup of fresh water before adding to the tank. do this will all chemicals that are dosed. then dose in front of a powerhead or in the sump to distribute it throughout the tank. adding it directly to the tank can cause a localized ph spike that could harm the fish.

I use SeaChem Reef Buffer all the time to dose my pH. I put about 1 quart of RO water in a gallon pitcher and then add the powder. Swirl for a few minutes to mix it up. Then pour is SLOWLY in front of a powerhead to disperse it.

I have even used a piece of aquarium tubing to siphon 1/2 gallon of RO top off water and pH buffer into my tank. You can get a little clamp to slow the flow down to a little more than a drip. It takes an hour or more to get it all into the tank. Kind of overkill for just topping off and adding a bit of pH buffer. But if you needed to make a radical change in pH or ALK, you could mix up a gallon of RO water and the buffer. Siphon it in with airline tubing and a clamp to make it go in slow. I'll bet you could slow it down to 3 or 4hrs.

I have never had a fish eat anything that was not food. they will swim up to anything that moves, but then they tend to swim away when it doesn't look like something edible

-Doc

My chromis will taste test any particles in the water... salt creep, calcium, mag, anything. if it's not food they spit it out. I usually mix my pH in half a gallon bucket and then pour it into my filter sock to strain any larger particles not yet mixed. Whatever is left will dissolve on it's own.

Anything that is going to raise your pH or alkalinity should be dripped into tank or preferably a sump. Precipitaion of calcium carbonate can be caused by rapid changes in pH and/or especially Alkalinity. Rapid large changes can actually cause precipitation heavy enough to look like snowfall in side your tank.

Back