Perameters

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I will admit, this is the first time I have tested my water in say....... 5 weeks:shock: However, I was really happy with the results:bounce:

PH-8.2
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-5
Phosphates-0
Calcium-450 I am not sure if this is right, I don't really like the test kit I am using. It is an API. This seems a little high concidering I don't dose with calcium (yet) I don't have any corals in my tank (waiting for lights). However, I am using reef crystals which contains a good amount of calcium.

Anyways, it looks like my 15% weekly water change is working out nicely.:Cheers:

450 is a squeak high, but live rock and coraline will eat it up eventually.

Doin' good!!

Ya scurvey tinner!! :wink: I have been in the HVAC industry for almost 15yrs. Saw your post in the Jobs thread.

Looks great. You could have that much calcium it just depends on the salt your using. Good luck with your future corals.

parameters looks right on! the slightly higher calcium won't hurt anything. it will probaly give the coraline a little boost if you have a little in there to seed it.

Well I was told service make more than install, by my teacher how is also a buisness owner. So I'll probably do service, which you would think an installer made more. I hoping after about 3 to 5 years working for someone I will be able to open my own shop. Then if that happens I'll do it all for a while till I get some monkeys to work for me.LOL

Well I was told service make more than install, by my teacher how is also a buisness owner. So I'll probably do service, which you would think an installer made more. I hoping after about 3 to 5 years working for someone I will be able to open my own shop. Then if that happens I'll do it all for a while till I get some monkeys to work for me.LOL

If you have the option to do service, DO IT. I absolutely hate installing, but thats just me. The nice thing about service is everyday will be a little different, and you are not stuck in a house or commercial building for months on end. Service requiars good critical and problem solving skills, which I am sure you won't have a problem with. Just like anything, the more practice the better you will get. There are so many parts a variables when it comes to service.

Good luck.

If you have the option to do service, DO IT. I absolutely hate installing, but thats just me. The nice thing about service is everyday will be a little different, and you are not stuck in a house or commercial building for months on end. Service requiars good critical and problem solving skills, which I am sure you won't have a problem with. Just like anything, the more practice the better you will get. There are so many parts a variables when it comes to service.

Good luck.

I agree with Salty on this one Bobby.
Installers are a dime a dozen.Plus crawling under houses and in hot atics gets real old real quick.

I myself will starting into an apprinticeship program in Jan.to get into service.
The sheetmetal side aint much fun either.

Wow, there are three tinners on this site:bounce:

We rule:Cheers:

Bobby, I guess what I meant to say is installing isn't that bad as long as it won't be your life long occupation. I couldn't imagine being 45 and still installing. A lot of our "younger" guys like doing what they do however, some of the "older" guys are getting a little grouchy.

Last edited:
Get into service.

If you want to specialize in service and make some serious cash--get into heavy commercial and industrial service. If you know your stuff in the industrial service part of this trade, you are set. Learn piping and refrigeration. Learn pumps and electricity. Learn to read a wiring schematic and do controls.

Stay away from restaurant work and walk in coolers unless you enjoy taking service calls at 3:15am on Saturday nights. Stay away from homeowners and property managers. They are nothing but a cheap pain in the butt. :grumble:

I was a commercial installer for 80% of my career so far. I advanced through that quickly because I saw where that would lead me. Worn out body. I was running my first commercial job as a 2nd year apprentice when I was 21yrs old. I made forman in 5yrs and field superintendant in 10yrs. I worked on estimating and project management the last 5yrs. I'm an estimator/salesman for an industrial service company now. Love my job.

I tested my water today:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 8.2
Alkalinity 3.5
dKH 9.8
Calcium 480
Phosphates 0 (my cheatomprpha is growing like a weed)
Salinity 1.023

Just an excel spread sheet with a couple multipliers. Tell it how much all the parts/material costs and tell it how many labor hrs. Press the ENTER button. :mrgreen:

I use Autocad a little bit and Wrightsoft for my load calcs.

The reason I ask is when I am done with school I will be doing the estimation part for my dads company. We use estimation logistics as well as cadpipe. I will be taking a few autocad classes this year. We have 25 trucks and 55 employees.

Welcome to Advanced Mechanical, Inc.

There is much on the website yet...

Last edited:
i always get stoked when i see test results like that after slacking off. ive been testing my 36 for changes. orange spotted goby hasnt shown his face in about 8 days now. moved rock around to catch my lavneder tang for the 80g and he hasnt shown up since. was worried he died.... but so far no bad readouts.

IMG_1366.JPG

Last edited:
Back