Patience is a virtue!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Well, got my RO/DI unit up and running, now just waiting as it slowly produces water (cats are uber-curious about this process)! Took a few hours to produce 4 gallons tonight, which I mixed up with salt to do a water change on my curing live rock tomorrow. In the mean time, I've now got most of my dry rock moved from my house to my tank (which is at my office). Half of the rock I got off of CL and bleached and dechlorinated came out fine; the other half I left in water too long and now its got some algae on it, so I'm getting ready to bleach it again as soon as the tub fills w/ RO/DI water. My (mostly DOA) live rock has at least another week or so to cure. Haven't checked my levels yet, but the sniff test tells me they're high (the smell is overwhelming in the back hallway where I have the bucket LOL). Tonight I spent about an hour at home depot after work getting the right pvc pipes to divert water from the output of my in-sump skimmer into the 10g petco sale tank I bought that will house the return pump and eventually become a refugium with chaeto and pods, mysis, etc. In the mean time, patience is definitely a virtue that I am getting a lot of practice in!

This is the system I bought: SPECTRA PURE MAXCAP RO/DI SYSTEM (MC-RODI) - AquaCave It's rated at 90gpd. This one is brand new - the night I posted this was the first night I'd used it, and it took a good hour or so just to go through the process of prepping it to get it ready to use. It is going a bit faster now, but still takes more than an hour for me to fill a bucket. My water pressure isn't the best, but it is within the acceptable range. I think I need to pick up a thinner o-ring at home depot to add in, because I am getting some water leaking out where I've connected the unit to my kitchen faucet (the 2nd o-ring that came with the adapter is too thick to use). I think my pressure will be better once I stop the dribble. Do they get faster over time?

It shouldn't get faster over time, but if it's taking about an hour to fill a 5 gallon bucket, that sounds about right for a 90 gpd unit.

Back