overflow/drain and skimmer ?

Steveg229

Addicted
I have been pondering the thought of going sockless once and awhile, but I have a question before I do. My drain/overflow emptys about 2-3 inches below the water line and with the sock on all is well. When I take the sock off, there are tons of bubbles that are created. These bubbles seem to make the skimmer stop skimming.... I havent tried this for more than a few minutes when I am changing the sock out. To run without a sock, will the skimmer start skimming again or is there something I am missing? :dunno:

You are removing nutrients from the water that were trapped when you remove the dirty sock filter. So I would think that would make the skimmer slow down. I would be intersted to know how it reacted if you tried feeding with the sock off to see if the skimmer would pick up.

I run mine both ways with and without a sock but the only change I notice is when putting a clean sock on my skimmer starts bubbling and overflowing like crazy for about 15 minutes.

My system is sockless and the skimmer runs fine. Just a thought...when you change/clean the sock do your hands get wet. Oils from your hands will stop the skimmer from foaming for a little while.

socks an take particles out of the water that filter feeders may need. I saw my maxima grow 5 fold under good light and no sock. I looked carefully and I could see small particles in the water. Some people do not like that particle sin the water --they want the water crystal clear.

I have been going sockless for several days now after building a bubble tower with rubble rock. All is well, except I do have one more question. I have a durso type standpipe setup with no gurgling or surging, but I have tons of air that is sucked down with the water. I changed my drain line to clear flexible tubing and wow is there a lot of air that comes down that line with the water. Is there a way to correct this, or is this normal?

Thanks Ted, as I wasnt sure. I did build a bubble tower out of acrylic to help cut down on the bubbles and that has helped as well.

Attachments

• bubble tower.webp
    bubble tower.webp
    13 KB · Views: 382
  • bubble tower2.webp
    bubble tower2.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 376
Cool idea, I just let mine shoot into my cheato...the best bubble trap there is...Which reminds me need to half it again and get some more store credit.

Back