one explanation needed

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
This might be a stupid question but its something I have been wondering about and really need to make sense of…

I was just wondering why it matters to have a certain number of fish in a tank (depending on the size of the tank) but the same rule doesn’t apply to snails, hermits, shrimps, basically inverts & corals (or does the rule apply?). Or at least that’s why I keep hearing.

Do inverts not produce as much waste? Why is it ok to have like 50 snails in my tank but no where near as many fish? What’s the difference between a 1 inch fish and a 1 inch snail in terms of waist, etc…

Thanks. If this is an obviously stupid question, feel free to tell me so…I’m ready for it :)

Oh i see, its because fish swim around more and require more space. Makes sense...duh!...But does waste also play a role? Do 50 snails not amount to anything significant (speaking of waste & water quality)?

Last edited:
Inverts don't produce nearly as much waste as fish. Which is why you can run a fully stocked to the brim with corals reef tank and never need a skimmer, as long as you don't have fish in it.

I dont think you would. It is my understanding that people run CO2 to help disolve aragonite to keep the calcium up. I have not really done much reseach so I could be way off

Brian

Snails, crabs, shrimp, bristleworms, certain starfish, sea hairs--etc.. actually EAT fish waste and leftover scraps of food. Thats your janitor crew. They keep things nice and clean.

As far as snails and that kind of stuff goes--FILL ER UP!! :mrgreen: Just make sure you feed enough so they actually DO get some bits to eat. They can starve too. Last time I counted, I got 14 snails, 3 hermits, and about a dozen bristleworms(the ones I can actually see) in my 30g tank.

As has already been said, all fish need a certain amount of "territory" to feel comfortable.

Back