Old Base rock question

Hi, I'm new to saltwater aquariums. My tank was born on May 30th. I have a 46g bowfront. I currently have about 8lbs of LR. 2 turbo snails,emerald crab, green apple montipora that was on a pice of LR i got from a friend. One green ricodia that doesnt seem to be doing well idk why and one pink mushroom. A frag of starbusrt and a frag of orange and green polyps. I also have this soft coral that idk what it is. Ill try to include a pic.

My main question is. A friend of mine gave me a piece of base rock that had buble algae on it so i didnt put it in my tank. Its been sitting out in my apt since May 30th of this year. What do i do to it so i can place it back in my fish tank?

Attachments

• DSCF2179.webp
    DSCF2179.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 285
It's either a kenya tree or a colt. Kenyas can and will take over your tank. Colts look similar but grow slower and are less of a PITA.

Really? kill it? i mean i dont have much in my tank right now as is...so tell me what are some stuff to look into buying for new aquarium? that are hearty and will take some abuse...i havent checked my water at all for anything but specific gravity and everything seems to be doing well.

I can tell you 99.9% of reefers who has/had them regret it.I've just recently let 100 pounds of live rock dry out in the sun just to get rid of them.

The choice is really up to you.If you like them,keep 'em.BTW,nice monti cap.

I'd say so. If its been sitting and boiled then its all dead. You could try scrubbing that spot a bit to get it off if you wanted. But I'd feel safe with the time and boiling it.

After boiling that rock,you need to wait until all the dead stuff inside of it is done decaying before adding it to your tank.
I'd set it outside for 4 or 5 months before adding it back to my tank.

Roger that Yote. I got the LR from a friend as a gift. I let it sit for about 2 months now, boiled it twice.....ill let it sit a lil more....would putting it in the sun help?

Really? I thought since it had already been sitting outside for 2-3 months plus the boiling, it would be ok. Would there really be anything left on it after all that to need another few months?

Back