NoExperience

BullShark

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a 6 gal Fluval Edge. I want to grow a reef and add stock in the future, but reef for now. I am literally starting from scratch and i have put nothing in the tank as of yet. Question: Substrate, what should i use? CC or Sand. I would like to get the substrate moved in, add the water and start the cycle without live rock yet. Bad idea?

Youre going to have trouble doing a reef in that tank. Another member D2Mini has that tank and he had to make custom LEDs for it to support corals and I think he's still having issues with the light not being enough.

As far as the substrate, I'd use sand. And I'd cycle it the live rock, you'd be much better off since most of the bacterial growth is in the rocks.

Thanks! I plan on making the modifications with the LEDS. I actually watched a few yout tube videos on the LED mods. I agree on the sand, what do you suggest in the sand department? Brand? Type? etc. Live Rock any suggestion there as well?

Look for aragonite sand, in a color and density you like. Stay away from the crushed coral. Place your rocks, add your sand, put the water in, and start your cycle.

Nice Pic!! JackA%& Osama...
Thanks for the help, i am super stoked to learn and grow my new reef.
By the way what does PICO stand for?

Pico just means it is very small in this situation.

And i really do suggest finding a larger tank, the small tanks can be very hard to get good water quality with and things go wrong much faster with such a small water volume.

But just plain, dry, cheap agronite (sp?) sand works the best. Also, any rock that you put in there will become live over time, live simply means that it has bacteria on it that can break down the fish wastes into less toxic chemicals. You could easily get enough live rock from your lfs to fill that small of a tank. But in the future, you can get mostly dry base rock (much cheaper) and just a few pounds of live to start your tank.

I wound up going with caribsea live sand 10# bag with 8 pounds and about 3-4 pounds live rock installed. How long does it take usually for the sand to settle?

Ok, i didnt rinse, but within 48 hours and three charcoal, sponge flushes it is crystal clear. Looks AWESOME!! I will now test ammonia and let it take its course. Stoked!!

New question:
Does anyone suggest a particular LED strip light? I am looking to make a mod to include blue LED strip lights for moonlight.

Back