nitrite high .25

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
what should i do ??

all i have is 5 gallon ro water should that help any??

i did a small 8 gal water change 3 days ago

nitrates are 0
ammonia is also 0

pH is 8.1

salinity 1.026

Last edited:
25 isn't all that disastrous. Mine has consistantly told me my nitrate was at 20 no matter how much water changes I did. I dunno if my API test kit is bad or what. Always get it double checked by a LFS. If my tank is really at 20ppm it has been doing fine, nothing has had problems including shrimp, snails, hermits, fish, frogspawn, ricordeas, mushrooms.

Nitrite reading is an indication that your bacteria bed is not adequate to handle what every is going on and your system is in a cycle to increase the bacteria in the tank. if you do water changes you will slow the process down and your bacteria load will still be lacking. best advice is to check to see if anything has died, or is decomposing in your system, and if so remove it, and if not just sit it out and test every 3 days or so to log the systems progress. good luck.

well i noticed my xenia closed all mostly all day and my lawnmower blenny brething heavier thats what made me check

Alto, his nitrites are high, not nitrates.

JC, I suspect this is going on because you added so many fish to a brand new tank so quickly. If you add more than your bacteria can handle, you will get ammonia and/or nitrite readings. That's why so many new tanks crash because people add too much to them too quickly.

Like jhnrb said, there isn't anything you can do except wait it out. Doing water changes will help lower them, but will prolong it too.

crying.gif

Jc,
Remember your other thread where I told you to slow down?
Thats why.
All you can do now is wait it out and hope your fish and corals dont die.

Jc,
Remember your other thread where I told you to slow down?
Thats why.
All you can do now is wait it out and hope your fish and corals dont die.

im starting to see marks of ick on my coral beut and i do notice the lawnmower being aggro chasing the beaut and the blenny

could he be the cause of the ick or could it be the high trites

ok so im using a wet dry with bioballs does that also add nitrites ???? they are still at .25 havent overfeed only one loos and that was today the beauty couldnt handle it i saw the hermits having a buffet when i got home
how do i go about cleaning the bioballs slowly section by section or all at once

i read that i can change the bioballs to something else but forgot what

Back