Nitrate test

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, I hate the API nitrate test, the colors are waaaay to similar and hard to distinguish between

what is a good nitrate test from another company?

any ideas?

thanks

Another question to go with this, In my sump, I want to make more room, can I get the silicone and one of the baffles off without causing harm to my tank or having to empty the water?

For the API tests, use strong sunlight to help distinguish the colors better. I always hold the vial infront of the card and look through the liquid at the card. This will help alot since the lighter colors blend in and you cant see them the darker colors will still show up.

As for removing one baffle, take a razor blade and cut through the silicon holding it in. Just use a new blade and wipe it down to remove any oils that might still be on it from the manufacturing. You will still have silicon on the walls, but the baffle will be removed without having to empty the tank.

So with this kit, in front of the light it looks 0, but in front of the cardboard it looks 5 or 10. Also, this is after a 30% water change.

ok awesome, Ill get to removing that baffle, because its stopping me putting in a bigger skimmer

I don't bother using the dropper for weekly testing really. I have the option of using the dropper kits for most everything. But just checking for the basic stuff, I just use the dip tests. Particularly because the droppers leave me running around asking every person in my neighborhood, "what color does this look like to you?" and get every answer from chartreuse to magenta...

Ok, so what are the drip tests?

It's a little tube of paper strips with pads on them that turn colors when you dip them in your tank. They're not as accurate but I think they do just fine for weekly testing. They usually are fairly close on with my dropper tests. I would still keep the dropper tests around though. But the strips are easier for me to read.

I'd highly advise against the strips even though they are easy. They are typically very inaccurate because they change almost as soon as they begin to dry. I started with those and always had NO nitrites or nitrates showing so I thought I was good, Boy was I wrong!! I took in my sample to the LFS and found out I was killing everyone because my levels were way bad. With my dropper kit I just use my best judgement and always guess its high. That way even if I did a water change and its not actually that high I know I did something to fix the problem. You're safer that way :)

Ive got two more names to checkout now for my nitrates (dam API)

alright, from what sharkie said, im going to be leaving the drip test alone haha.

I'd highly advise against the strips even though they are easy. They are typically very inaccurate because they change almost as soon as they begin to dry.

On the kit I have, it takes 40 seconds for nitrates to dry. The rest turn almost instantly. When should they even have time to dry? You dip then look at the pads...

Mine have always been close to what my droppers say. But I read it immediately.

Back