New Zoas

ts99ad

Reefing newb
I just picked up 2 colonies of zoas, bright Yellow/green and Pink/purple. I noticed a few things after I got them in my take. The Pink one has several aiptasia growing in with them. How do I get rid of it? I am assuming tweezers. Also in the morning before they open I notice a small white coral with in them. It looks like a very small bubble coral. Can I leave it there or should I try to move it? If so I do I do that?

I will try for pictures, but my camera is very blurry taking pictures through the tank.

On another note, where is the best place to put the zoas, one is in moderate flow the other is currently in lower flow. They are both near the top directly under the LED’s.

Thanks in advance.

I pretty sure you should place both of them on the bottom so they get use to your lights for a couple of days then work there way up. Aiptasia X is what a lot of ppl use and have good results.

Okay, I will be getting either AX this week or hopefully i can find some begnium nubrianches here in Ontario. I prefer natural removal.

As for the bubble, is it okay to leave in the cluster of zoas or should I try and break it away before the zoas completely overwhelm it.

Its definantly not a sponge, I will try to get a picture detailed enough to see it. I may have to move the rock closer to the glass to take the picture. It is bright white, with a small "mouth" and small bright wihite extentions surrounding the edges. It looks simular to a bubble(from what I have seen in pictures) only minature, it is about an 1/2" in diameter or smaller. Too small to actually tell.

2Q==

It kind of looks like this(without the inner tenicles) but it is half the size of a dime. It has a defined "mouth" and outer ring of tenicles. It not like a typical Anemone with the tenicles on the inner portions only around the edge. I tried to take a pituce but it only shows a white spec with no definition.

Okay I think I got it. It appears to be a Rock Flower Anemone. At first I seached rock, but that seems to be a catch all, once I searched Flower multiple pictures appears that looked just like it. Mine is currently white under the blue lighting.

Now is it safe, and do I need to move it away from the Zoas. Currently when the zoas are open they completely overwhelm the anenome. So my guess it to move it.

But if it is bad, I will perminately remove.

Rock flower anemones are cool guys to have and many people pay money for them. I wouldn't let it touch your corals though -- it will sting.

Back