new tank

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
I just set up my tank 2 days ago. The only thing in there now is my liverock. I had my tonsils taken out yesterday and im stayin at my girlfriends house for a few more days until i get better. will my tank start its cycle if the salt level isnt exactly right, or if i dont have a light on it yet (im getting a new light next week so i just didnt bother putting the on i have on it because its not long enough)

you dont need a light to cycle your tank but running actinics 4 hours a day or so can give any coralline algea a boost. as for the questions with the salt, i have no idea, thats a good question. What do you mean by your salt not beeing exactly right? whats the salinity at?

i was in a hurry when i was adding the salt. im using oceanic salt mix, and i added what it called for 24 gallons, and my tank is 30 gallons, so the salinity isnt as high as it needs to be

If the salinity is TOO low it will kill off any inverts thats in the rock.
Any thing under 1.024 is TOO low for invertibates.But other than that It will start its cycle.

so... if my salinity is lower than 1.024, and it has been for 2 days, how long do i have until all my inverts die off?

If your tank is 1.020 to 1.023....it won't kill inverts immediately.As far as how long,not really sure.IMO,I think you should be alright.Some inverts may die but some may die anyways even if the SG was correct....you know...the whole cycling period will kill some of the life.Since you been over your GF the last couple of days.The SG could be normal now with the evaporation that occurred while you were gone.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have a 30 gallon tank with live rock in it, remember the rock is going to take up a lot of space in the tank and displace water. If that's the case, 24 gallons worth of salt in a 30 gallon tank with LR should be pretty close. Of course, you will still need to measure the salinity to be sure, then adjust by either adding more salt or taking out water and replacing it with freshwater until the salinity corrects itself.

ok thanks alot guys, i mixed the salt and everything on tuesday evening and i had my surgery wednesday morning. i havent been back to my place since, hopefully ill be able to go by and check on everything tomorrow. thanks again

Back