new corals!

lilduud

Reefing newb
just got back from my lfs and acclimated/placed my new frogspawn branch, as well as a small frag of green acropora.
afterwards i went by my local petco and found a shroom rock with 12+ grown shrooms and 4 or 5 babies for 40 dollars! neon green shrooms. :D the guy said there was two scews so he gave me the one for normal green shrooms 10 dollars less... then he gave me some free crickets... over all two wonderful pet store experiences... doesnt happen here too often :)

question: on the frogspawn.. will that branch behind the main stalk grow into a head? or is that dead? whats up with that hahah

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 228
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 223
also on the mushroom rock i just noticed that theres some white sponge material... it seems to be squishy but doesnt react at anything... any hints? cant seem to get a clear picture its pretty small and in a shaded spot.. ill keep trying.

the other piece i was asking about looked exactly the same at the store so im assuming its gone... and as for the sponge, is that ok? haha never had anything to do with sponges... i wouldnt think so but are there any dangerous sponges haha

They're usually ok. I fit starts growing to the point of irritating the frogspawn, just pull it off or expose it to air for a few seconds.

The dead part of the frogspawn won't grow back if there's no flesh left. New branches will come off of the living part, though. Sponges are fine.

actually theres a ton of amphipods hidden in there can i just break em off and add them to the bottom of the rubbl pile?

Be careful when you break it off. Sometimes it won't break where you want it to and the live part breaks off. Do you have any fragging shears?

hmmm i dont... anything else i could use? if not it might actually be ok... its holding itself nicely away from everything and high enough in the water column for light and flow.. ill get over the two dead branches haha

Most of the time,I'll leave the dead branches unless they start growing algae.But once the live branches cover the dead,they'll be hidden and will give pods a place to live.

I decided to leave a dead tip on a branch of one of my sps. About 4 weeks later I got sick of seeing it and used sidecutters to clip it off it was a simple easy process that I don't regret and almost instantly there was new growth where it was clipped.

Back