New ballast

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
On my 60g 2ft tank, i have a 150 watt metal halide with external ballast. I was wondering, would it be a good idea to upgrade the ballast for 175 dollars and by a 20,000k 400 watt bulb for it?

we would be looking at 7 watts per gallon, and i was just in the process of building a wooden holder for 4 t5's to go along side the metal halide. They are 4 bulbs with IR at 24 watts.

Would this hurt my lps? or my softies? i know my acro's will thrive.

thanks
:Cheers:

So you think i may as well just leave it at 150? I thought growth wise it might be better with a stronger light, but if you think i should just leave it, thats good for me :) thanks yote.

I agree with Yote. 250w is perfect, 400w is overkill. The only thing is, the DE socket from your 150w lights will not work with 250w bulbs or 400w bulbs. The sockets are different sizes. If you upgraded your ballast, you would also have to replace the sockets.

ohhh ok, i found a certain site where the new light is the same price as the ballast on its own. So im thinking i might upgrade to the 250 watt or leave it how it is. I want to make sure i have no problems with sps.

Back