New 30 gallon

badgers034

Reefing newb
I currently have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with breeding convicts in it. Now I am going to transform this tank into a FO or FOWLR tak, but I am CLUELESS. Here is a little info on my tank: It is a 29 gallon tank, It currently has pool filter sand in it. I want to get a buffering sand to get a steady PH. It now has a cruddy heater on it, and I will get a new visitherm stealth. The filter is a small Bio-Wheel, and I am debating on getting an Aquaclear. I also want to get a powerhead for the tank as well as new lighting for when I make the switch. Now to the questions:

1. Can I use my freshwater to skip waiting around for my tank to cycle?
2. Can you give me some stocking suggestions? (All I know is that I want a clownfish:mrgreen: lol)
3. How do you mix saltwater?
4. What should my cleanup crew be?
5. What type of lighting should I get if I want to do Live Rock?
6. Can I use a VHO bulb in my flourescent light fixture?
7. Or should I just use a high power flourescent?
8. Should I get a protein skimmer?
9. How many GPH should my powerhead be?

Thats all I can think of for now, I may have some more questions later. I know its alot, but like I said im completely new to this saltwater, but not new to fishkeeping.

Wow!!. quite a few questions. too much to answer all here. My best advice at present is to refer you to the Helpful articles forum and on page one there are a series of articles to help you decide if salt is for you, the basics, and a whole host of information that will address your questions. Fresh water and saltwater are two different environments and the bacterias are different as well as the principle behind the systems. Hope the articles provide you with the information you are seeking. once you have made a comprehensive reading of the articles then come back here and post any remaining questions or confusion that remains. welcome to the site and keep us posted.

Ok, well I have definately narrowed dow my questions, but there still are some:
1. Well, I want to keep an ocellaris clownfish, a green chromis, a royal Gramma. Now are there any more fish I can put ni there?? I was thinking maybe a goby??
2. What should my cleanup crew be?
3. Now. When I do water changes, I am supposed to get my water ready. How do I go about doing this?? Heres what I was told. When I get the water ready I should keep it aerated in a bucket for about 48 hours. Now, I heard that when you top off a tank, that you should only just fill with freshwater. Does this still apply with water changes? And do I need to buy a separate heater for the bucket that I will keep my water in for the water change in?

Ok lets see if we can help clear up some questions.

1. your fish list seems to be ok. I would refer you to helpful articles page one stocking rates.

2.I would start with snails, and maybe a couple three or four blue legged or redlegged crabs.

3. On water changes, 1st top off your system with r/o or d/i purified water to bring the level up to normal, once well mixed take out an amount of water and replace with fresh saltwater.

Fresh saltwater is made by adding purified water to a container, mix continuously with pump and provide air, bring up to tank temperature and mix salt in, let mix for at least 48 preferably 72 hours at proper salinity and temperature before adding to your system. fresh saltwater is caustic to the fishes gills and must age a bit to be safe.

Back