My tank stinks!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I've got a little 10 gallon tank that got wiped out when I dropped a light in it. The tank sat outside with sand and goo in it for a couple months (hey, I was sick) so today I get it cleaned, I sprayed out the inside and painted the back but the inside smells fishy. I don't want to use chemicals to clean it do I? It looks crystal clear there's nothing on the glass, why am I getting this smell and how do I kill it?

thanks,
C

If vinegar doesn't do the trick, you can use a dilute bleach solution. But I'd rinse it really well, then set it out in the sun to dry (the sun will help break down the bleach). Then I'd fill it with water again and add some dechlorinator from the pet store to make sure that anything that's left is neutralized.

Thanks, I'll try the vinegar. It's 10 gallons you think like a cup and fill the tank? Let it sit overnight?

Catherine

when i cleaned my protein skimmer i had it stronger than that and it worked like a champ. it definitely surprised me.
i didnt let it sit but ten min and then used a clean brush and it took everything off of it. now it looks pretty much brand new. :)

Vinegar is probably THE best cleaner to use when it comes to tanks.
I really need to buy some stock in vinegar,as much of as I use.Got 8 gallons of the stuff sitting beside my tank right now:D

A couple table spoons in the 10g tank would be more than enough. A cup of bleach in that size tank would be overkill.

I love the smell of vinegar. I grew up in Africa, and everyone there eats their french fries dipped in vinegar (not ketchup). I loooooove vinegar on fries!

Biff, where in Africa did you grow up? That's really cool!

Vinegar smells like Easter to me. We always colored our eggs with those little tablets you dropped into vinegar. Anyway, my tank doesn't stink anymore! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Catherine

I've lived in 8 different countries all over the world. As for Africa, I spent 3 years in Senegal, 3 years in Zimbabwe, and 1 year in Egypt.

Back