mud or sand in a fuge

It depends on what macro-algae you want to grow in a refugium.Mud maybe better for root-type algae-mangroove,shaving brush etc.It also supplies trace elements to the system and better breeding grounds for burrowing copepods and worms.Of course,you pay a whole lot more for mud than sand.For me,I prefer oolitic aragonite which is a very,very fine sand.

Deep bed sand (4 to 6 inches). If you can get it go with oolitic aragonite 0.2 to 0.5mm. Some larger up to a maximum of 1.0 mm if that is all you can find. Carib Sea has really fine oolitic aragonite. Try to get a little live sand from several reefers (with healthy sand beds) if you can, to innoculate your snd bed. Even a cup full or two makes a big difference in a small refugium. GARF has some wonderful stuff, but it contains about 60% rubble by weight, but Pods love rubble. A lot of lifeforms though (even brittle stars), the highest of any source I have seen. They are not cheap though at $5 per pound. Forget abought the bagged live sand as the only life forms are bacteria.

Last edited:
Back