Microbubbles from Berlin Red Sea skimmer

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I am just testing out my protein skimmer (Berlin Red Sea), which I got used and cleaned up really well. I am using a Rio 2500 (brand new). Just a question. I'm currently just testing it in a sump we're building (just a 20 gallon tank), and using just tap water to test it.

Question is that the 2 exit valves (fitted with pvc and the piping is 1 inch into the water) on the top are spitting out microbubbles. I saw a posting someone did a while back about the same problem...I just want to make sure before I use this on my tank that the micro bubbles are from the skimmer being in just regular tap water. I see the bubbles swirling, I don't think there are leaks. In real use, would the microbubbles subside eventually in a tank?

Well you can really tell anything by using it in fresh water since skimmers only work in sw, but in general, new skimmers will spit out microbubbles for a little while until they build up a layer of bacteria.

Capts right.The skimmer will need a week or so to break in before you'll know if the bubbles quit.And if you ever clean the pump AFTER its broke in,the bubbles will be right back till the bacteria builds up again.

Ok, great! I kinda figured that, but wasn't sure. I bought the skimmer used (got a new pump for it though), and wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with it.

Just as a heads up for anyone with a new Red Sea Berlin Skimmer or any other protein skimmer that all skimmers must be ran in saltwater, otherwise they won't produce bubbles. You can find more Red Sea Berlin Protein Skimmer information here: http://www.aquariumproteinskimmer.com/protein-skimmer/red-sea-berlin-protein-skimmer.php

The skimmer also has a break in period to where it removes some of the film from acrylic, so there will be a higher microbubbles output exiting the skimmer.

**I know this post is old, but it comes up in Google

LOL yeah this is an old post from when I first started. It was a p-i-t-a to set up, but did eventually get it working with lots of tweaking. It's doing the job, but definitely getting an octopus for the upcoming 125g. Plus I had emailed the company for help, and they responded quickly by emailing me a pdf of the manual, which help a LOT.

Back