MH ballast ?'s

Ok i decided to go with Mh instead of t5's, i just got a 250w Sunpro ballast it says it has all the cords and and wires needed, all i would need is a reflector? also do i need a doulble ended bulb, single ended or does it matter? So im gonna retro this into my canopy im also diy'n myself, is this too much wattage for my tank (29gal 30x18x12) i just wanna keep softies for now, but i know this hobby is addicting and that i will soon upgrade..any info will be much appreciated:D

I agree with Capt. Downgrade to less wattage. With the one you selected, you'll be pushing 10 watts per gallon on a small tank. Your water will be boiling!

i would put that light at least 10 inches ABOVE THE TANK i had 11w per gal on my old 50gal the only prob with that is low light corals will not live in there

If it's and electronic ballast then you can run either single ended bulbs or double, if it's magnetic the you can only run single ended bulbs. Do not run a differnt wattage bulb with a differnt wattage ballast only bad things will happen.

You will not need to run MH if you have 216 watts of t5.

If it's and electronic ballast then you can run either single ended bulbs or double, if it's magnetic the you can only run single ended bulbs.
That's not exactly ture. You need a HQI ballast to run a double ended bulb. The HQI ballast CAN BE electronic or magnetic. A Sunlight Supply BlueWave HQI ballast is magnetic and is made to run HQI DE bulb.

Alright i guess im gonna go with the t5's and keep the ballast untill i get a bigger tank to light, do you guys think i'll be ok if i went with 130w's of Pc lighting in a 29g, just wanted to know b/c the t5 i have now is 48" and my tank is only 30" and was wanting to not have any overhang from the longer light? Was just wanting to keep softies.

If you suspend the halide over the tank and use a 20k bulb I thik you would be fine. I just wouldn't run it much more then 6 hours a day. With the pc you would be alright with softies.

Back