Metal halide setup now

reefie

Reefing newb
I just setup my whole metal halide light fixture and ballast.

the ballast is sitting on a solid slab of concrete on the floor and the light is held above by the two arms you see and hooks, thanks home depot.

this is the first time I have fired it up and did not know if it even worked.

its a 400w 20000k bulb.

its really bright white and blue and Im really amped to see it lit up, its illuminating the whole basement :Cheers:

is there ever a somewhat smokish scent or burning scent that surfaces when the bulb is heating up. I cant tell and I dont see or feel anything hot or burning. just curious and new to these

any help is appreciated

this pic was right after I turned it on its really bright now, also I have a bookcase near the light as u can see and another tank will this be harmful to things close by it?

CIMG3788.jpg

thanks all for your help Im so happy to finally get it set up, the smoke smell seems to have evaporated. not sure if it was the bulb or ballast since it hasnt been used probably in over a year and a half

Where is the smell coming from? The ballast of the fixture part.

It is possible that there was dust on the bulb that is burning off. I would keep an eye on it to make sure that nothing is wrong. Keep an eye on the temp of the ballast.

the bulb was pretty filthy I will admit that I tried wiping it off but yes I think it was coming from the bulb, that was actually my first thought. I wanted to make sure a metal halide setup like this would be okay, u can see it is a tight fitting tank LOL and I didnt know if it would be a risk at all.

CIMsG3789.jpg

Nice bright light ,wow.....i'm new to the lighting and coral keeping,so i'm not sure what i'm talking about,but it seems like alot of light is being wasted on the back wall..Is there a way to utilize that light?

Well I have a light grid which would help but it is exactly 12 inches or close to high

any lower could scorch the corals so I've read and was told

looks really nice compared to the coralife pcs I had but man is this bright :)

Back