Marine safe adhesives/sealants

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I'd like people to post materials and brands that they know are reef safe...whether it's silicone, glue, or putty.

Some of the diy projects we've been doing have had me surfing the net looking to make sure certain materials we've been using are reef safe. The first time I read that people use superglue to glue frags when I first started this hobby, I was surprised. I didn't think that type of thing is safe, but aparently it's common. So now I'd like to see what you all have tried and tested as safe.

Have at it!

Silicone must be 100% silicone, if it says its mildew or mold proof dont buy it!

Super Glue gel is reef safe(the non-gel stuff floats all over the place dont use it)

Hold Fast epoxy, Aquastiq epoxy are all reef safe Ocean Wonders makes a cool purple coraline colored epoxy too.

As far as super glue gel goes, I have had great success with the Locktite brand and limited success with the other brands. Ironically, the superglue brand, you know the one that says, "the original superglue" on the label, is the absolute worst I have come across. It loses it's hold almost as quickly as it hits the water.

I just find it weird that these superglues with their strong alcohol smell is safe for the tank. I still can't get over it.

Is plumber's putty safe? Supposedly the one I used doesn't harden. I used it in the overflow pipe -- the one that goes through the bottom of the glass. I put it in the outside part of the tank to help seal it. I don't think any of it got inside the overflow, but just in case, is it safe?

I just find it weird that these superglues with their strong alcohol smell is safe for the tank. I still can't get over it.

Is plumber's putty safe? Supposedly the one I used doesn't harden. I used it in the overflow pipe -- the one that goes through the bottom of the glass. I put it in the outside part of the tank to help seal it. I don't think any of it got inside the overflow, but just in case, is it safe?
I actually think you might be in trouble there wonton. the plumbers putty I have from Ace says to contact a doctor immediately if ingested. I was going to use some on my tank back when I ran out of silicone but I chose not to because of that.

Back